Thursday, January 19, 2012

More Cowbell!

As I wrote in one of my previous entries, my wedding dress was selected to be in the Sew in Love competition. However, the selectors felt that it needed something more [we love your dress, but we want you to completely change it..HA!]. As they made comments, in my head I kept thinking "No, no, no, next, no." But to appease them I added cap sleeves and a fuller skirt, which I felt would do the trick. At the follow-up meeting, a new selector came in [without any previous knowledge of the original look] and said that "Is that it? It needs more drama." To which I replied, "This dress is an understated luxury, it's light and moves beautifully when worn by a person, not a stiff form." It's not about all the bells, whistles and bows; all that would detract from what this dress is meant to portray. But boy was she relentless: "More drama, more drama, really explore the drama." I feel that I can take criticism well, when it's constructive and helpful, but this...I left annoyed.

I am sure this woman thinks of herself as an expert. And of course there are expert opinions that carry more weight than an average Joe's...think "The Devil Wears Prada," but she is definitely not one of them. How do you determine if she is? If you are in the business of fashion (even if you are a professor at a university), you should dress in such a way as to inspire others to want to stand next to you, even if they don't know you. Being a good seamstress doesn't make you an expert in fashion. And fashion, after all, is subjective--it's really in the eye of the beholder.


So this brings me to the funny part of the frustration. As I sat staring at my dress for two hours, trying to come up with something to add to it, I remembered this SNL skit that just made it all better.



It said it all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...